Winter Weather: Advice
It looks like Dursley will be impacted by the winter weather on Thursday and Friday which is currently affecting other areas of the Country.
Don't be put off clearing paths because you're afraid someone will get injured. Remember, people walking on snow and ice have a responsibility to be careful themselves. Don't believe the myths - it's unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries if you have cleared the path carefully.
Follow these simple steps set out in the Government's Snow Code:
- Start early - clear the snow or ice early in the day and cover the path with salt before nightfall to stop it refreezing overnight.
- Use salt or sand - not water. Help prevent black ice by spreading some salt on the area you have cleared. Use ordinary table or dishwasher salt - a tablespoon for each square metre you clear should work. Sand or ash won't stop the path icing over as well as salt, but will provide good grip under foot.
- Take care where you throw the snow so it doesn't block people's paths or drains. Make sure you make a path down the middle of the area to be cleared first, so you have a clear surface to walk on. Then shovel the snow from the centre of the path to the sides.
- Be a good neighbour. If your neighbour will have difficulty getting in and out of their home, offer to clear snow and ice around their property as well − especially if they're elderly or disabled and depend on social care services which need to reach them.
- Pay extra attention to clear snow and ice from steps and steep pathways - you might need to use more salt on these areas.
Grit provided in grit bins is for use on public pavements, paths and roads only − not private property/driveways.
Gloucestershire County Council have a page on their website which advise on any schools that have to close:
Refilling of Grit Bins
Following a couple of enquiries to the office and reports of grit bins needing filled. Please report this to Gloucestershire County Council on 08000 514514. Unfortunately Dursley Town Council do not have the resources to stockpile salt for refilling grit bins during the winter season.
Thanks to local resident Mark Hughes for permission to us the photograph of Parsonage Street during the last period of snow.
Posted: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 09:33 by John Kay